About the Pre-School
FCCC provides an enriching environment of love, security and community for children between the ages of 3-5 years old in our Pre-K Program. Through age-appropriate experiences, our children learn respect for others, self-confidence and social skills. They develop curiosity about the world and learn to appreciate people who are different from them. Our children grow emotionally, physically, socially and cognitively. They build a foundation of competence and confidence that prepares them for everyday situations and, ultimately, for school.
The Pre-School program at Friends Child Care Center is based on active learning — providing developmentally appropriate activities that facilitate and enhance social, emotional, cognitive, and large and small muscle development. Our primary emphasis is on social development and learning through active play. We believe that every child has an innate ability to thrive developmentally under the guidance of caring adults, and in environments designed to foster children’s natural curiosity to figure things out for themselves, ask questions and make discoveries about the world and what interests them.
Program Structure & Curriculum
Our preschool program is comprised of two classrooms – Triangles, our youngest preschoolers (ranging from 3 to 4 years of age) and Quads, our oldest preschool group (ranging from 4 to 5 years of age). Staff/child ratios are intimate and allow teachers to prioritize and meet the individual needs of children while planning for the group as a whole. The average ratio for both classrooms is 1:8 with group sizes no larger than 15 children daily. The PA Learning Standards provide a framework for lesson planning and The Creative Curriculum is implemented throughout classroom learning centers.
- Science & Math
- Literacy/Book Corner
- Writing Center
- Constructive Area
- Dramatic Play
Overview of Program Developmental Goals
We strive to ensure every child:
- Is stimulated intellectually
- Develops strong sense of self worth
- Develops empathy
- Takes responsibility for self and own actions
- Develops ability to articulate and regulate feelings/emotions
- Build strong verbal skills and vocabularies
- Make decisions and follow through with choices until completion
- Listen and follow directions
- Develops a greater curiosity and desire to seek answers
- Develops the ability to problem solve independently
- Develops good health and safety practices
Parent/Teacher conferences are conducted twice annually, in October (after most children have adjusted) and in April, before summer vacation schedules and Camp transitions take place. Teachers share developmental reports via Teaching Strategies GOLD which assesses key elements that are most predictive of school success in the areas of social–emotional, physical, cognitive, and language development, as well as learning in literacy and mathematics. The system also includes objectives to help teachers plan instruction in science and technology, social studies, and the arts.
- Weekly Music, Dance, Yoga classes
- Excursions to area play spaces, theaters & museums
- Summer instructional and recreation swimming at SWEAT Gym
- Various programs brought in throughout the year based on themes and community stakeholder interests
Life after FCCC…where do our Students go?
Here are some of the public, private and charter schools our children attend after education here at FCCC: Russell Byers Charter School, The Shipley Lower School, Friends Select School, Bache-Martin School, Independence Charter School, Germantown Friends School, St. Peter’s School, Greenfield School, Springside Chestnut Hill Academy, Gesu School, McCall Gen. George A. School, Wilmington Friends School, William Penn Charter School, Penn Alexander School, etc.
Quotes from FCCC alumni
“Our family has been a part of the FCCC community for over 14 years. From the baby room all the way through the preschool room, all 3 of my children have benefited from the loving and professional care and structure provided by the teaching staff. Our two oldest children who are now 16 and 10 received the foundation of their learning at FCCC and to this day continue to flourish as thriving young people. Our littlest one who is 3, jumps out of bed each day and runs into her 3 year old class room to see her teachers, play with her friends and learn about the world around her. Yesterday when I picked her up she wrote me a note and signed her name. She has so much pride and joy in everything she does. FCCC has played a pivotal role in our lives, our children’s lives and the hundreds of children who have attended FCCC over the years.”
— Karla Z.
Advantages of Pre-School at FCCC
Preschoolers will also receive the benefits of being part of the broader Friends Child Care Center:
• Year-Round pre-school (i.e., no need to worry about summer camp for your kids!)
• Full-Day pre-school (i.e., 7:30a-6:00p operating hours – no after care needed!)
• Continuity from the child care center (minimal transition, as your child will be familiar with our staff, space and schedules from the Toddler classrooms)